Millions of people around the globe are suffering from such mental disorders like anxiety and depression. The reason of such symptoms is the imbalance of special chemicals in our brain that suppresses the central nervous system. Pharmaceutical industry has made a real breakthrough in treating such disorders by creating a class of medicines called benzodiazepines. Their effect is achieved by enhancing the neurotransmitter GABA in the brains that provides a calming effect and works like antidepressant.
At different drug stores, you may find various medicines from this class. Xanax is perhaps the most popular one, yet there are different generics that have the similar effect, but they may cost less and may also have some peculiar characteristic features. In this article you will read the comparison and find the difference between Xanax and Lorazepam.
Both of the medicines are prescribed by doctors to treat anxiety disorders, panic attacks and depression. Stay aware from self-treatment, the medicines have a number of precautions and may cause harmful side effects in the case of overdosing and allergic reactions. Only the professional may decide which dosages will be effective and safe for you, after a careful studying of your medical history.
Forms and Dosages
Xanax is made in the form of pills. There are four types of them; they differ in coloring and containing of the active element. There are:
- White oval pills with a `XANAX 0.25` imprint have 0.25mg of Alprazolam.
- Orange oval pills have a `XANAX 0.5` imprint and contain 0.5mg of active element.
- Blue rounded pills also have an imprint `XANAX 1.0` and contain 1mg of active element.
- Pills with a rectangle shape contain 2mg of active element and are divided into four parts, so that each part contains 0.25mg. It is very convenient for those, who do not require high dosages.
Lorazepam compared to Xanax has a bigger variety of forms and shapes. Here are some of the most common ones:
- White round pills with a `M 321` imprint. Each one contains 0.5mg of Lorazepam.
- White round pills with a `MYLAN 457` imprint, with 1mg of active element.
- White round pills with a `GG 93` imprint and 2mg of active element.
- Five-sided shape pills of white color with an `1 MG 511` imprint containing 1mg of Lorazepam.
The dividing line appears only in the pills starting from 1mg strength.
Xanax and Lorazepam Side Effects
Benzodiazepines are the type of strong medicines, which can be bought only if the patient has a doctor`s prescription. Self-treatment, wrong dosages and too long period of treatment may cause a number of serious side effects.
Most common side effects among the patients, who are taking Lorazepam are:
- disorders of concentration;
- loss of sexual interest and some erectile dysfunctions;
There are also some rarely appearing uncommon effects, yet they are more dangerous:
- problems with breathing, especially at night;
- skin and eyes yellowing;
- irregular heartbeat.
Xanax includes all these side effects as well, yet we may also add:
- low concentration;
- dry mouth;
- blurred vision;
- suicidal thoughts and depression;
- skin rashes.
You should call a doctor immediately, if you get any of these symptoms while taking Xanax and they are not gone in a few hours or days. In such cases, it is recommended to lower the dosages or stop the course at all.
Lorazepam vs. Alprazolam Precautions before Use
Before your doctor prescribes Lorazepam, he should study your medical history carefully. Lorazepam is prohibited to be taken by the patients, who have severe diseases of the liver and kidneys, problems with lungs and sleep apnea. People with alcohol and drug addictions should also stay aside from the medicine. Mixing with alcohol may cause severe intoxication.
Xanax, actually, has the same precautions; we can only add glaucoma here. It is also should be kept in mind that old-aged patients have higher chances to get side effects and the cure may work wrong on them.
Difference between Xanax and Lorazepam Prices
The average price for Xanax varies around 2$ per one pill, at the same time Lorazepam is about 1.5$. Most of you might find such difference rather profitable.
We hope that this article will really help you to decide what medicine to buy, Xanax or Lorazepam. Think wisely, compare both of them and decide as there is no need of mixing Lorazepam and Xanax.